Ever felt like your fandom was passed over? Not enough variety? Not enough of the stuff
you want to see? Enriching your at-con experience is just an application away.
Whether you want to put together a discussion group (Fan
Gathering) or art panel, sold your soul to cosplay or Ball-Jointed Dolls, want to
share the history of Boy's Love or debate the future of the genre; no topic is too
great or too small!
Dust off your glasses, unlock your inner professor, and get started on brainstorming
your panel for 2012!
*NOTE: Industry representatives wanting to request a panel to announce new titles or
set up a focus panel for a special guest you've invited also need to submit a form to
ensure we have a record of your request.
We're excited that you want to join us in our occasionally (often?) sordid hobby.
The first thing to do is complete the panel application. All the information you provide
will help the events coordinators serve you better. Once we've had a chance to review
the submissions and put together a tentative schedule, we'll get back to you regarding
the status of your request.
Panel requests will be accepted through September 1, 2012. If your panel has been accepted
for Yaoi-Con 2012, you will be informed as of September 8, 2012. All panel applications will
be previewed as they are submitted. If your panel request is an absolute reject, you will
be informed within 48 hours of your submission so that you can be given the opportunity to
rethink and resubmit your panel idea.
Any applications received after September 1st will be placed on Stand-by Status. There will
be no guarantee that you will have a slot in the Panel Schedule!
Some thoughts before you apply
- This is Yaoi-Con, so make sure your topic relates to Yaoi. If you want to run a fem/fem
fan fiction panel, Yaoi-Con probably isn't the best place! We may consider a few crossover
fan topics - but strongly encourage that your panel stay related to Yaoi.
- Priority will be given to people who have yaoi-related topics and who completely fill
out their application.
- Most panels are given a 1-hour time frame to present. On occasion, if you really wow
us with your topic, we can give additional time. The longest a panel can run is two hours.
Please be sure to request the additional time when completing the application.
- If you would like to chair more than one panel, please be sure to submit a different
panel application for each panel you would like to chair.
- Panels are typically scheduled between 10:00am-4:00pm Saturday and Sunday of the
convention. If you have major conflicting obligations during these times, it may prove too
difficult to find a time that works for you and the convention. Please be sure to list which
day(s) and times work best for you.
- If you're not really comfortable speaking in front of people, chairing a panel may
not be for you. We'd like to stress the need for outgoing people with a good base of knowledge
from which to draw.
- If you feel that you may have to drop out of the con, please note that on your application
- or consider not applying to be a panel chair. This is a commitment you are making; once
we make the schedule, you will be counted on to run your panel.
- Panels that have not started by 15 minutes from the scheduled start time may be cancelled
and no credit provided, regardless of whether or not the panelists are present. Please start
your panels in a timely manner.
Please note the following before you start filling out the form
If you have any questions please contact panels[at]yaoicon.com.
- Be as specific and detailed as you can with the content/theme of your panel so our program
guide can reflect your panel information accurately.
- Presentations from panelists should be at least 50% of the panel's 1-hour time slot. A panel
consisting of mostly roundtable discussion is discouraged. Please provide an outline of your panel
in the box provided on the application.
- The name of the panelist/group hosting the panel will default to what you put in the "Panel
Host/Group Name" box.
- While we do our best to fill equipment and supplies requested for panels, availability is
limited and not guaranteed. Fulfillment of available items is at the discretion of the Panels
Coordinator and not on a "first-come, first served" basis. Please bring as much of your own
supplies as you can. Be sure to indicate specific logistical support required. Keep in mind that
there may be panels that will exceed the availability of the logistics. A back-up plan on how to
present your panel with minimal support is encouraged.
- Items banned from the convention are automatically banned from all panels. This includes --
but is not limited to -- all items banned under the
- Food and beverages may not be served during a panel.
Benefits of Being a Panelist
Yaoi-Con wants to say thanks for the hard work you put into running your panels! Participating
panelists and the co-panelists will earn hours for discounted or free entry into the subsequent
year's Yaoi-Con. For each one hour panel you chair, 3 hours of volunteer time will be granted.
For each two-hour panel you chair, 4 hours of volunteer time will be granted. You will also
receive all of the perks that come with being a volunteer for the convention. Be sure to
check out the Volunteer page for additional
* Please note that applying for panels does not automatically
grant entry into the Con at a discounted rate. Panelist(s) must complete their scheduled panel(s)
for the full time allotted to be eligible for the Panel Perks program.
In addition, industry representatives who are running a panel(s) will not automatically be
granted complimentary admission into the convention, either - only representatives of major
sponsors, and those pre-approved by the Convention Director will be given free admission.