Yaoi-Con wouldn't be Yaoi-Con without its wonderful Volunteers! So if you'd like to help the con
run smoothly AND be in the middle of the action, please consider joining our Volunteer force!
Hello! My name is Todd, Volunteer Chair for Yaoi-Con 2012. On behalf of the Volunteer
coordinators and myself, thank you for your interest in volunteering!
The one and only goal of the Volunteering Department is to help the con run as smoothly as possible.
The only way we can achieve this goal is with the help of folks like you. Without volunteers to help
out on the many jobs that have to be done, no convention would be a success. Many cons, such as ours,
wouldn't even be possible. So come on down! Join the fun! Spread the yaoi love!
Q: What does being a volunteer involve?
A: We need people willing to work one or more of the following positions:
- Load-in* - Assist with unloading the truck and dragging everything upstairs.
- Registration desk - Help people check-in, answer questions, and hand out badges
- Badge checkers - Verify that everyone who enters convention areas has a badge
- Dealer Room set-up and break-down - Manual labor at beginning and end of the con
- Art Show & Fan Market - Sell art, take auction bids, answer questions, and assist with
light set-up and breakdown work
- Video Room - Run audio/video equipment and badge-check the room
- Events staffings
- Go-fers, volunteer table, and spot fillers - A little bit of everything
- Load-out* - Assist with tearing down and reloading the trucks.
* Double Volunteer hours are awarded for helping with Load-in and/or Load-out!
Q: What do I get for helping?
A: As a "thank you" for volunteering, you will receive:
- Yaoi-Con certificates of appreciation
- "Goodie bags"
- Raffle tickets
- A discount on next year's ticket prices. If you work 7 or more hours, you receive
50% off your admission for Yaoi-Con 2013. If you work 12 or more hours, your admission
to Yaoi-Con 2013 is free!
- An invitation to the Volunteer party, held Sunday afternoon.
- The traditional Volunteer ribbon. It's up to you to find a non-traditional way to
wear it. . . .
Plus, more importantly, the intangible, but surely far more significant, benefits of
warm fuzzy feelings for Making Our World A Better Place. And meeting lots of REALLY COOL
PEOPLE (always my reason for volunteering. Well, that and the rush of running flat out
for 72 straight hours.)
Q: What do I need to do to be a part of the magic?
A: It's very simple: Let us know that you want to help out we'll take it from there! There
are two ways to let us know:
- When you pre-register for the Con, select "Yes" in the little box on the registration
form that says, "Want to volunteer?"
- Send an e-mail to volunteers[at]yaoicon.com.
About a month before the Con, I will email you, asking some simple questions like:
- What areas or what tasks do you not want to do work?
- What time of day can you start work?
- What's the latest time you'd like to end work?
- What are your "must see" events?
- What is the total number of hours you'd like to work per day? For the whole Con?
Then, through the magic of vast quantities of cursing and hair-pulling (ha! wishful
thinking!) on the part of our scheduler, we'll schedule your time so that you get to help
out at the Happiest Place in Yaoi without missing any of your desired events.
So, what do ya say? Are you in? If so, I thank you humbly, deeply, and sincerely, for your
willingness to help, and look forward to welcoming you to the wonderful and rewarding world
of Yaoi-Con Volunteering. (And if not . . . well, that's all right, we don't feel rejected.
Really, we don't. We'll be all right, honest. . . .)