Masquerade Registration will be held at the following times:
Friday: Melbourne, 10AM-1PM, Shanghai, 2PM-6PM
Saturday: Shanghai, 10AM-1PM
If you have any questions ladies (and gents) you can
e-mail the Cosplay Coordinator at cosplay[at]yaoicon.com. If you plan on using props as part of your act, please consult the Weapons Policy to find out what props are appropriate at Yaoi-Con and which would be best left at home.
- Best Individual Costume
- Best Group Costume
- Best Individual Skit
- Best Group Skit
- Wild Card
- Masquerade is open to all registered attendees of Yaoi-Con.
- Each entry should not run past TWO MINUTES. You are not
required to use the full time limit, but please keep it in mind for any
performance ideas you have for yourself or your group. Exceeding the time
limit will disqualify your entry, and we'd hate to see that happen after all
the time and planning you've put into it.
- In line with the above, please keep the set up for your entry as short as
possible and be sure to let the Coordinator know in advance if you'll need any
help from the staff.
- While Yaoi-Con is for everyone 18 and over, we still need to refrain from
OVEREXPOSURE. As tempting as it might be, NO nudity allowed.
- Costumes must be designed to allow you to ascend and descend the stairs to
the stage, as well as fit through standard doorways.
- Only competitors and designated Yaoi-Con cosplay volunteers are permitted in
the Green Room at all times and in the exhibition room during run-through.
- Safety first! No jumping onto or off of the stage, no acrobatics
(including cartwheels or handsprings). If more than one person is on the stage,
fighting or martial arts sequences MUST be performed at 1/4 speed.
Any "weapon" included in the performance MUST pass through security. See the Weapons Policy for further information.
- NO substances that can be potentially harmful to people or
damaging to costumes, other property, or equipment are permitted on the stage. THIS
INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO: combustion-based effects (open flames, fire, explosives,
flash paper), silly string, glitter, confetti, water, paint, tobacco, powders, any goo
or slime, and props or parts that shatter.
- Nothing may be thrown from the stage. What goes on stage with you must be removed
from the stage quickly and easily by you. Please be respectful to the acts that follow
in the same way you want the others to respect you.
- No live animals.
- No audience-participation presentations or skits. Encouraging clapping or calling out
along with cues is acceptable, but nothing that would bring an unplanned member of the
audience into a performance at random. Presentations must take place only on the stage with
- You may surprise the audience with antics or actions on stage, but NOT
the Cosplay staff. If you are planning something unusual (or completely new), let us know
well in advance. We promise to keep the information strictly confidential, but we need to
be aware for everyone's safety.
- Yaoi-Con's Code of Conduct still applies to all cosplay. We're bound by not only the
hotel rules and regulations, but also local and state laws. Please be aware of these rules
when planning your performance, and if you're not sure about something, be sure to ask the
staff. We're more than happy to help out.
The Cosplay Coordinator has absolute authority to eliminate
anyone from the competition on the basis of taste, danger to audience or fellow contestants,
violation of these rules and guidelines, or any reason deemed sufficient. If you're found to be
in violation, there will be no appeal.
- The number of entries will be limited to 20 to help keep all the con programming on
track. Cosplay sign-up will be taken next to the Yaoi-Con volunteer/info booth. The sign-up times
and general assembly for all participants will be announced at a later date.
EVERYONE will need to return for final curtain call one hour prior to the
event's start time.
- A standing microphone will be available on the stage to use per request. If you would like
the Master of Ceremonies to read any narration or give any special introductions, please prepare
a 3x5 note card with the desired material for the Coordinator.
- Audio tracks MUST be in MP3 FORMAT, AS SINGLE SONG, ON A SINGLE
CD or MP3 FORMAT ON A FLASH DRIVE or MP3 FORMAT EMAILED TO
THE COSPLAY COORDINATOR-- NO tapes or personal MP3 players will be accepted. Your CD
or flash drive should be marked with your name or name of your cosplay group, your badge name
and badge number. To help prevent confusion, please be certain to clearly mark your CD or flash
drive. We will only be able to play from the beginning of a track, so plan for this when making
- If you plan to use a CD track or flash drive in your performance, CDs will be accepted no
later than the 12 noon cut-off for Cosplay Sign-Up at the Con.
- You'll be able to pick up your CDs and flash drives at the end of Cosplay by the tech table.
If you aren't able to pick it up, they'll also be available at ConOps on Sunday for pick up by
the participant whose badge is listed on the label. *NOTE: We cannot guarantee the safety of
your items. If you do not claim your items before the convention ends, it will not be mailed
back to you.
- The Masquerade may be video taped or photographed by Yaoi-Con for judging, archival,
or promotional purposes. By entering, contestants give permission for their image and/or skits
to be recorded.
Cosplay participants will not be automatically granted seating for the Bishounen Auction. All
those wanting to attend the auction must follow the auction ticketing procedures.